Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Japanese Haircut

During my two week break between summer school and the regular term, I was browsing the internet at my youth hostel and happened to stumble upon GQ's website while looking for possible haircuts. I read an Q&A section about getting haircuts in the states, and the GQ expert explained that in the states unlike the past, it is hard to find a good barber. However in Japan, there are tons of excellent places to get your haircut.

So today, after my skit on bakayama was over, I set out with a 50% off cupon to get my haircut finally. GQ was right, they really take care of you in Japan. Here are some of the things that set it above the US. First when you go into the shop, they give you a little card where you can draw what kind of a hair style you want. I doubt many people choose this option, because next step they lead you to a chair, give you some magazines, and the barber comes over for a little 1 on 1 consultation. Oh I forgot to mention that you can choose what kind of barber you want. Three price levels for three kinds of stylists. I forget the names, but it is something like: stylist, design stylist, and master stylist. I went with the middle. After the during the session with the stylist they ask if you want a shampoo.
Yes, please. I love getting my hair washed. If you have never had it done, I highly reccomend it. It kind of puts you into a trance.

After that they lead you back to your original chair. This might sound pretty normal to some people, but I have forgotten to mention some pretty important things. First off, this whole place is pretty posh, and there is no filth to be seen. Second, they treat costumers like royality. Not only are they using all honorific language, but they are gentle with everything. They gently wrap the towel on your neck. Gently lay the cover over your lap. They ask if there is any pain when they button up the bib. All of this adds up to an entirely new haircut experience. The haircut its self was pretty normal. I can't it is the most fantastic haircut I will ever get in my life. But I am very happy with it. They took very good care of me and I got it all at a cheap price. Only 3045 yen. Just about 30$.
I almost forgot to mention that after they clean you up and get ready to send you out, they give you a little shoulder massage. Nothing special just another neat little things they do to make you feel pampered.
Oh and the name of the place I went to is called, Ash Hairmake.
Check it out.

1 comment:

@nn(3) said...

You have the best stories, I want to see this new haircut of yours!